An Argumentative Essay – How To Make It Shine
There are a number of professors that will assign argumentative essays for the same class, on the same topics every single year. This is a challenging situation because after a couple of years of grading the same term papers on the same subjects, the professor knows exactly what he or she is looking for. The professor will be able to discredit arguments and details quickly because it has become like a routine for him or her over the years of grading that specific argumentative essay. Therefore, as the student you will have a need to find a way to make the paper more interesting and have it stand out in a positive light for the professor. There are a number of ways to make your paper shine; however, first you must make sure that you are following the basic guidelines of an argumentative essay. Some of the basic guidelines of an argumentative essay include:
- Make an argument that is interesting and compelling
- Choose a side of the argument, and then stick to that side of the argument
- Support your argument with only facts, no emotions or opinions allowed
- Make sure that the facts that you support your argument with are all from credible sources
- Present your paper in the format that is specifically outlined by your professor
- Double-check that you used the proper font, font size, and format consistently through out your entire paper
These are just a few of the most important elements to writing an argumentative essay.
Once you have ensured that you have written the paper following all of the guidelines for purpose and format you will be able to move forward to making sure that you included creative and unique elements to make your paper stand out. This is an even more complicated part of the process. It is advised to not include creative punctuation or formatting because you could potentially lose points for such writing choices. You will be able to make your paper shine by taking compositional risks that include:
- Writing about the topic in a creative way
- Using more complex words and sentence structure
- Including dialogue or quotes in your essay
These are just a few of the best ways to make your paper shine among the competition. Your teacher will certainly be impressed with the way that you are able to refresh his or her outlook on the argumentative essay topic that he or she has read hundreds of in previous years.